Queensland’s Tow Truck Scheme
The Queensland Government regulates accident towing to protect drivers from illegal towing businesses.
The Tow Truck Scheme sets out rules about what is and isn’t included in accident towing, as well as the maximum amount a towing operator can charge for a “standard tow.” The maximum amount is as follows:
- $405.30 for the first 50km of towing
- $8.05 for each kilometre over the first 50km
This amount includes:
- 60 minutes of working time at the scene of the accident
- Towing of the vehicle to the agreed address
- 72 hours’ storage in a secure holding yard (if required)
A towing operator cannot charge call-out fees and other incidental fees when providing a standard tow for a vehicle that has been in an accident.
You have a right to choose who tows your vehicle after an accident. This is done by signing a towing authority form with the towing operator of your choice. The form should include your information, the address where the vehicle is being taken, the price, and details about the towing company (like their licence number).
Never sign a towing authority form that’s incomplete! Reputable towing companies will always provide every detail and be transparent about the cost of the tow.
Where to Tow Your Car After an Accident
You have a few options for where to tow your vehicle after an accident. Your tow truck driver can take your car to:
- Your mechanic. A qualified mechanic or smash repairer can assess your vehicle and fix any issues. Simply call your mechanic and let them know you’re on your way. If it’s after hours and your mechanic is closed, you can have your vehicle taken to the towing operator’s storage yard overnight.
- An insurance assessment centre. If you or the at-fault driver has comprehensive car insurance, your car may be taken to an insurance assessment centre. Call your insurer and inform them of the accident – they’ll arrange a tow truck on your behalf.
- Your home. You can have your vehicle taken to your home address if you want to assess the damage yourself. This may be the best option if you don’t have insurance, or if your mechanic is closed for the night.
We always recommend taking your car to a mechanic or insurance assessment centre after an accident.
Modern cars are designed to crumple in an impact. This keeps you safe, but it means that even low-speed accidents can damage vital components. You should have your vehicle looked over by a professional to make sure everything is okay.
Storing Your Car with a Towing Company
You won’t always be able to have your car towed home or to the mechanic immediately. If that happens, standard accident towing in Queensland can include up to 72 hours of storage by the towing company.
This gives you a chance to assess your options and figure out what you want to do with the vehicle.
Towing companies are obligated to maintain secure storage yards. If you store your car with the towing company after an accident, it’ll be safe and sound until you’re ready to deal with it.
Just keep in mind that your initial towing invoice only covers the first 72 hours of storage. You’ll have to pay additional fees for storage after that point.
Been in a Car Accident? Get Home Safely with Harvey’s Towing!
Accidents on the road are some of the most dangerous and stressful situations you can be in. The last thing you need is to find yourself worrying about where to send your car. With crash towing from Harvey’s, we’ll make sure you get home safe and sound.
Harvey’s Towing offers 24/7 accident and breakdown towing throughout the Greater Brisbane region. We have tow trucks on call at all times, so we’re always available when you need help. Simply give us a call and we’ll send our nearest driver to meet you as soon as possible.
Remember – you have the right to choose who tows your car after an accident. You aren’t required to hire the first tow truck on the scene. We always recommend working through your insurer or contacting a towing company you trust!
Contact us online if you’d like to book a tow, or call us directly if you need 24/7 accident towing in Brisbane.